Contenuto in: Rivista di Archeologia vol. XXVII - 2003
pp. 105-109, Tavv. 4
The head was found in 1938 in the ruins of the medieval castrum of Albenga, the Roman municipium of Albingaunum (Liguria). The head belongs to a statue-portrait of a veiled woman of the 1st century, combed with a chignon on the nape of the neck. In the 2nd century the head was transformed and the coiffure was changed, in accordance with the new fashion of the turban of plaits. In the modern days the head was transformed again, probably into an image of the Madonna or of a saint.